Sunday 12 September 2010

12th September 2010 - Bredon Hill in the Sunshine.

Distance - 11 Miles
Start - Elmley Castle Village Centre
Number of Caches - 8
First Cache Found - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ce1576a7-6834-40e8-8790-507ee36e7208
Uploaded GPX of Route - http://www.geocaching.com/my/userrouteedit.aspx?rguid=8157c46e-e812-478a-a3df-a0389da8cb90 or search on "Elmley Castle"


I wanted to do a proper walk today, so a number of options were detailed and the dice man method of choosing was put into action.  It selected Bredon Hill - a one in six chance - and one of my favorite places to walk.  A route was selected from a 1980s walking guide, programmed into the GPS and surprisingly came up with a number of caches on route.  So a proper walk turned into a caching trip.

Sticking with the technology, I have bought a Windows 6.5 smartphone off ebay.  Fed up with carrying two many devices - i though a phone with gps and a camera would suit.  Its not very good at getting a mobile signal but the GPS is suberb - very accurate and no spikes/jumps at all.  Battery life was pretty good as well - 5 hours out in the field and 22% battery left.  Not as easy to use as the old faithful PDA but may have a future.

Start in Elmley Castle - picture perfect cotsold village.  There was quite a lead in to the hill and closer parking was available, but this would have meant not hitting the pub at the end - which is no repoened.  Last time I was here there was a desperate plea from a drinker who objected to living in a dry village pinned to the door.

Bredon hill is fanstasic for its views over malvern and myriad paths.  There are some gentle approachs to it but this way is one of the stepper ways.  About half an hour from the car to the flat top and the first cache - a micro in a wall.  Check out the views from GZ.

View from Animal Sanctuary Cache
Continue in a South West direction, taking in great views and wooded copses, finding the cache at the Warren and then two more in a southerly direction.

Loop back on myself to go to Sundial Farm.  Not been here before - looks deserted but an interesting place.  There is a cache in the ruins.


Sundial Farm

And Ruins
I then aim for civilisation - heading into first Kemerton and then the beautiful Overbury.  Neither of these villages seem to have a place for a weary walker to buy a pork pie.  Must bring food with me when I am out on 11 milers!

On this walk, I get to climb Bredon Hill Twice - fortunately, its not steep this side.  A long climb over fields, with the views behind.

Once at the top, there is one more cache to get - making it 8 for the day.  Nearly do myself an injury in the crater at the top when the branch I was using to steady my descent broke off.  

Then its back the way I came up to the village and my pleasure that the pub is now open.  Interesting sign - I think the pub is called the Queens Head but the sign has the date when Elizabeth I visited the place.

They haven't forgotton 20/08/1575 in these parts.
Out for just over four hours - fantastic walk and good caches on route.  The weather topped off a great day. As we move into Autumn, there will be less and less days as good as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment