Saturday 18 September 2010

18/09/10 - Alcester, a fine Roman Town.....

Bonus Cache and Description - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a9411865-2e1d-4f8c-a655-d69e583fc759
Number Found - 15

This weekend is the turn of Geocaching.  There is a nice trail in Alcester, so I decide to go for it.  The walk is around 5 miles on good paths, with a fair amount on the Arden Way.

Follow these signs
The Oversley Trail is a trail of 13 and a bonus - all the information is in the first cache clue here.  Not a great start, when I fail to find the first nano.  Maybe it was too small or maybe I wasn't too awake!

The remainder of the series is straightforward, until I get to number 8, which is a second DNF.  Fortunately, the path loops back around so I have a 2nd go at it and find it straight away.  That is how caching goes.

Number 7 makes me laugh, when I find the following at GZ, which I think is cache camo....


A bouquet to a dead cacher....
But is nothing to do with the cache...

Not much to look at on the route apart from Oversley castle.....


And a impressive stately home in the distance...

Ragley Hall Garden

That's not my photo - i never got that close....

Back into the town and I have a breakfast at a cafe... £3.60 sounded too good to be true and when I had tinned mushrooms, I realised it was.  I mean, what is the point in tinned mushrooms when you have a cafe next to greengrocers!

Had a half hearted attempt at a wherigo which as with all of these, ended in failure when I switched apps.  It did however, give me the chance of to look around a town that I have long admired... nice pubs, not a "copy cat" town with the same old shops and a wedding going on. The music made a fine accompaniment to my caching.  I shouted "don't do it" at the groom and when he said "why not", I retorted with "in 15 years time you will be scrambling around the countryside looking for boxes of tat to avoid spending the weekend in doors with her".

I made the conversation bit up.  Does this make me a bad man?

I actually found the oldest inhabited building in Warwickshire (how the winter evening fly by) and enjoyed the historical streets.

Oldest Inhabited building in Warwickshire
Nice old street.
Get home, down the pub with all my blues mates and the albion pull back from being a goal down to win 3-1.  They don't like it up them. 

A perfect day.

1 comment:

  1. I know the lure of a full English at £3.50 is strong but it's always wise to remember you often get what you pay for! However - anyone else visiting might like to know that there are great eateries in & around the town, varying from the luscious Essence (eatatessence.co.uk) on the Birmingham Road to the bijou Fine Food Emporium and Cafe Venue Espresso next door for light bites, sofas and a roaring fire in the Turks, ales, locals & something more substantial in the Holly Bush and real Italian coffee & pasta in LaVinotec (opposite the church) - then there's the Fish at Wixford and Hiller's farm shop cafe for generous portions - among many, many others!

    ReplyDelete