Thursday 11 August 2011

10/08/11 - Capital Ring Part 5

Start - Stretham Common
Finish - Wimbledon Park
Distance - 5.5 Miles
Previous Stages - Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4

Capital Ring Stage 5 at EveryTrail

So, I am on target for completion.  I anticipated that this would take me three years to complete this, walking on the light summer evenings.  This is Stage 5 of 15, so doing well.

But the big question was should I have been doing this in the current climate?  I did have a real think about it but on consideration, I decided that if you let the actions of other dictate you, they have won.  That said, I was on the look out for police helicopters and jumped out of my skin, when I heard a siren.

Get a quick 17 minute train down to Streatham Common and then head up Esterham Road, following the train line that bought me here.  Get to Mitcham Lane and one of the signs is to Croydon.  This was the scene in Croydon 48 hours earlier.

What a difference two days make
Its all dead quiet today.  Head into Tooting Bec common, our first bit of greenery and its all families, kids on bikes and people getting a bit of sunshine.  And the odd trampy looking fella asleep.

Tooting Bec turns into a bit of street walking in Balham and a very pleasant strecth over Wandsworth Common where there are a lot of dog walkers out.  This leads to a refreshment stop at the County Arms and a chance to pick up my only cache for a while on this route, attached to the railings at the front of Wandsworth Prison.  I have to say that I like the flowers at the front.  I am sure it will be a warming site for the people that tried to burn Croydon down.

A warm welcome awaits the rioters
So having completed a bit more off road walking than Stage 4, its all road through Earlsfield to Wimbledon Park tube station.  This adds the added benefit of taking me directly back to Gloucester Road.

Next stage is in Wimbledon, for which I have real high hopes.  Running out of light evenings, so it may be in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment