Monday 30 April 2012

30/4/12 - Capital Ring Phase 8 - Boring Canals

Distance - 5.3 Miles
Caches - 17, but only found 4 :-)
Pubs - 1, but strategically located at the end
Start - Boston Manor
End - Greenford

Well another day working down in London and weather decent enough that I can walk with my fleece wrapped around my waist.

A bit of a trek to get back to Boston Manor, as I am currently hotelled up in Camden.  I am also on a time limit, as the premiership decider is being played out tonight and I cannot miss this.

I have high hopes for the walk, as once planned and uploaded as a route on www.geocaching.com, 17 caches are revealed on route.  But all is not as it seems as some of them involve climbing trees, and using the underside of bridges as monkey bars.  I'll do anything for the love of caching, but I won't do that.

I come to a conclusion today that although canals provide flat easy walking, usually with plenty of pubs, they are as dull as ditchwater.  A large part of the walk has the grand union canal to my left and the River Brent to my right.  And it just goes on and on.

At least the caches take my mind of things... and I have an ammo box Travel Bug hotel for my first find of the night.  Impressed.

Better than the usual film cannister!
After all the industrial units, Hanwell church is the only impressive building on the walk, peeping out through the trees.  The recent rainfall stops the cache at Hanwell, as its in the roof of the bridge and there is a small problem.

Not in these shoes

The canals turn into the green spaces of Perivale Park.  Next geocache is blocked by a man drinking special brew, with two staffies on a lead, sat at GZ.  Yet another in long list of excuses that I am using today.

Next architectural highlight is the roof of Wembley poking out over the horizon.  I haven't looked at the next leg but hoping it gets close.

Roy's new home - Albion won't make it now.

Then its across the A40 and into Greendford.  Made it with 5 mins to spare and get the last seat in a busy pub.  We're in London, so they are all in Man Utd tops.  I need something to eat amongst my new footie mates so order the chicken wings and ribs combo.  It is delivered on a sizzling skillet, sending plumes of spicy smoke up in front of the TV.  I'm sure the evil looks are simply because they only have crisps with their stella.

Good game and then head back to Amy's borough, having confirmed train times from my support network back at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment