Saturday 1 June 2013

01/06/13 - Start of a New Challenge

Distance - 9.2 Miles
Caches - 2 found, 2 not found
Walk Inspiration


Norfolk has been conquered, so I need to find a new challenge.  I noticed from my newly published geocache emails that the Millennium Way, a 100 mile long distance path through the heart of the country, has been divided into 44 circular short walks.  This looks perfect for walking inspiration.. if I do one on the first weekend of the month, it will take me to the start of 2017 before I am finished.  Someone said goals need to be strecthing.

And its not as if there aren't other walking goals on the go.  The Capital Ring, Top 10 County Pubs and my Julie Royle walks are all still progressing.  I think this shows that I am a man with more ideas than time.

I also didn't need an excuse to be walking back from Pershore - which has always been a fine destination.  Park up at the usual old bridge picnic area, reminding myself again of the civil war story that took place here.

Old Bridge
They tried to knock it down in the Civil War.  Fell in.  Drowned.
Some new signs to follow
New Signs to Follow
Pershore Bridge
Hoping the 10 year old doodle makes it to the end.
Start of the walk is very familiar to me, having been down this route a few times.  Not a great place for hayfever sufferers, as the grass is knee high.  One huge geocache up by the allotments and then onwards along the river.

Cut in and head through Tyddesley Wood.  This is the only place the way markers let me down, as I take a couple of wrong turns.  Even with the GPS.  Emerge onto farmland for a figure of 8 loop around Besford.

I am rewarded with stunning views of Bredon Hill and the Malvern Hills.  But the real highlight is when a deer bolts out the hedgerow right in front of us.  Molly gives chase in only the way that only a Septuagenarian dog can.  I am too slow with the camera but do find a more sedate target.

Oh England, My lionheart
Mappiman is not as quick as a deer.
This section of the walk takes me off the Millennium - till next time my friend - and takes me around Besford School.  The local fete has been organised by sinister kidnappers, classically advertising their demands through cut up newspapers.

Kidnappers organise a fete
Entry money to be paid in unmarked fivers.  Drop it around the back of the bins.
The school is impressive.  Has there ever been a better location to play football?

Proper football pitch
If I was in goal, I would have been distracted by the hills.
Point F of the walk tells me to cross the field boundaries across a small plank. Which someone has nicked. Take life into own hands with a three foot water jump that could have left me in the drink, but manage to get a foothold and scramble up the opposite bank.  Get my breath back with a photo.

Malverns
Malverns Calling
At Besford Bridge, there is a cache, but I stuggle to find it. Decide to move on. We then enjoy the shade of a the orchard as it leads us uphill and back to Pershore. More glorious views. In a 360 maneuver, I can choose to look at either Bredon, Malvern or Abberley Hills. All under gorgeous blue skies. It's heaven, but I am down on water and the promise of a pint back in Pershore is more compelling. Into the town centre and another unfound caches under a street sign. People are looking at me funny, so I move on to the the one at the Abbey, where I am rewarded with a find and drop off a TB.

Pershore Abbey
Enough to make you want to be a monk.
Then I am delivered into the high street and a choice of hostelries.  Once again, I go for the Brandy Cask, as they have a nice garden.

Rather Looked forward to this
Mediterranean weather calls for Mediterranean Drinks
1 Stage down, 43 to go. It will have to go some to beat this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment