Saturday 27 July 2013

27/07/13 - Lots of Cots Pots

Distance - 9.9 Miles
Geocaches - 60 found, 3 DNF
First Cache

Cotswolds Great Walk - Central



Out to break my best caching day record today - previously held at 41 and going to be smashed out of the park as I attempt the central ring of the Great Cotswold Walk.  This is a series of 134 Caches, broken down into three rings.  I am going for the Central Ring, starting at Quenington.

I have been looking forward to this all week... loads of caches in my favourite walking part of the country.  It's also a newish area for me... not been to these villages before.  So I get down there, park up next to the pub (always thinking ahead) and get out for cache 1, just past the village green.

Only one problem.  I cannot find the cache.  When loading the sat nav, I noticed that everyone else has found it, so I feel the problem must be me.  After 15 minutes search, I text the support group at home and get told that it wasn't found yesterday.  Feel better about myself and move on.

I will be back for the southern ring, so no great dramas.

At cache 2, I make a find between the dog walking muggles, so at least I have my eye in now.  Just have to wait for them to pass, overhearing the conversation about how a Lord came out and told her off last week as her dog was off the lead.  It's that part of the country.

In other news, Cotswold Outdoors have had a sale on and I am kitted out in my new purchases.  Ellie always says that the reason things are in the sale is that no one wants them.

Man at Cotswold Outdoor
I predict that next week you will all be wearing Burnt Orange and Pumice
Next DNF comes at Number 9, just after the wonderfully named, but sadly not signposted, Cockrup Farm. 

I am then on the Salt Way.  I haven't brought my big camera today, as the space is needed for my raincoat.  The weather predictions were not good, with rain promised from 9am.  I have to wonder when the rain is coming.

Where is the bad weather?
Wall to Wall Sunshine
The walking is easy and the views are expansive.  Plenty of air traffic overhead but not much else to report.  Drop off a couple of TBs.

The path is as straight as an arrow until I turn left at Saltway Barn for my third and final DNF of the day.  This appears to be an old airfield and there are few huts scattered around pointing to the history of the place.

It's another long and straight walk down into Ablington.  An impressive looking manor house is obscured by a high wall, so I cannot get any photos.  One of the caches is in a bus shelter, which makes me reflect on why I love britain. 

There is no village store in Ablington.  I should know, as I have had no breakfast.  Instead, the bus shelter offers newspapers and eggs, where people pay into an honest box.

Unless they are the Orange Bandit.

Eggs and Honesty
Omelette for tea and free cash

Ablinton leads to Arlington.  After 10 years of serious walking, at last, I find the signpost of my dreams.

My kind of Sign
I like to party
The thought of a party gets me thinking of drinks.  The water bottle is running warm and almost dry but I don't need to worry, the Catherine Wheel is just around the corner.

Pub
So popular that chairs are scarce
It's a fine example of a British pub. As I go into the bar and convert my egg money into Spanish Lager, there is the male element of a wedding party all dealing with pre-match nerves in the way that the only the British can.  I take my pint outside, to see a coach party of Japanese get dropped off so that they can all take photos.

I am on Human Safari.  But rarely has a pint been so well earned.

Relief
Gets demolished in record time
The footpath takes me up the side of the pub.  I am walking towards the church bells.  Our posse of nervous boozers sound like they need to get a wriggle on. 

It may be the post San Miguel joy, but we now move onto the best part of the walk.  First off, I have to walk around the world's most remote cricket pitch.  I wondered what the oval was on the map, but did not expect that.  I then drop down to the River Coln.  The impressive building is simply marked as "Mill" on the OS Map.

Just a Mill
Just a Mill
The walking alongside the shallow river is fine.  A swan and her cygnets glide by and then I see a game of sheepy hide and seek in full flow.

Hiding from the Sun
Coming, ready or not
Far more muggles on this stretch, but it is no surprise.  The River Coln is a fine place to walk and it takes me all the way back to Quenington.  After 5.25 hrs, the village green is a joy to behold.

Back to the Beginning
All cached out
Just need to log the caches.  Thanks to Rooster72 for the setup and maintenance.  I will be back for the next loop in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment