Friday 23 August 2013

21/08/13 - Capital Ring Phase 14 - All along the Poo Pipe

Distance - 5 Miles
Geocaches - 0
Start - Hackney Wick
Finish - Prince Albert DLR

Capital Ring Phase 14



I am back on the Capital Ring.  Almost a month ago to the day, I was thwarted in my attempts to complete this leg by the Greenway being closed for maintenance.  I am back today, following the same familiar streets (hello garage, hello bagel bakery, hello canal) and do the half mile to the start of the Greenway again.

My heart sinks, as at first, I think it is shut again.  Its not, its just very difficult to get into.

Hurrah - Its open
The hardest Path to follow
But just what is this enigmatic Greenway that has been put between me and success?  Once on top, it offers fine views of the Olympic Stadium and its a long, straight concrete path reminding me of a disused railway line. 

A look on the OS map reveals why there is an odd odour in the air.  It is the Northern Outfall Sewer.  Most of London's sewage goes along this 6 mile pipe to where it is treated before emptying into the Thames.  And trust me - a times, the smell leaves you in no doubt.

After 13 stages of this Capital Ring, I have a horrible suspicion that this is going to peter out to unnecessary misery.

At least there is an unobstructed view of the Olympic Stadium.

Olympic Stadium
West Ham Sign should point at it
Few mad cyclists tear-arsing along at break neck speed.  Not much to look at but we do hit confusion at a place where you can "View the Tube".  ViewTube, if you will.

Marketing at its best
The sign is a lie.  Just more tarmac and whiffs
It all gets a bit confusing here.  The Greenway is now shut again but only for a short while.  What starts off as a signposted diversion ends with walking through a complex building site.  I come out at Stratford High Street and cross the four lanes of the a dual carriageway, back on Turd Tarmac. 

I'm afraid its all plod city from now on.  There are minor distractions of views of Canary Wharf - and behind me to the city but the only architectural delight is a pumping station.

Ees are Good
My Favourite "E" T-Shirt

Pumping Station
Used as an Asylum in one of the Batman movies
This goes on and on, through Plaistow and I leave the Pong Path at Beckton Park.  I attempt a cache at the City Zoo - but at 8pm, its all been locked up for several hours.

The train back is from Royal Albert Dock.  No place for refreshment but views over the City Airport. 

When I get back, I check out the final stage and find that its only 4 miles.

I probably should have tagged it on to this.  I have a feeling the final furlong it will smell sweeter but be equally uninspiring.  A sad end to what has so far been a superb adventure  

No comments:

Post a Comment