Friday 27 December 2013

27/12/13 - Best Completed after Heavy Rainfall

Distance - 7.5 Miles
Geocaches - 10 found.  3 TBs Dropped.
Walk Inspiration - Walks along the Thames Path


On plotting my planned walk in the Cotswolds last night, it became apparent that it was very close to a three section caching trail that I had completed in monthly stages since August this year.  As delightful as this part of the world is, I did not want to be traipsing along the same paths.

So a re-think.  I remembered that the Thames starts in the Cotswolds.  I consulted by book of 25 Thames Paths walk.  The opening comments for the first walk said "best completed after heavy rainfall".

This was a sign from the walking gods that could not be ignored.

Sonia and Ellie think they can stretch out Cirencester for three hours of shopping.  In the car down, Sonia asks where I am walking today.  I know that the source of the Thames does not have the same drama as the source of the Nile, but I didn't expect so much laughter.

They are dropped off in front of the beautiful church and I head off for the designated parking area.

Which is now designated as "Private".  The nearby Thames Inn Pub has a sign saying "unauthorised cars will be clamped".  In the end, I find a layby on the way to Ewen.

Gaiters on.  Raincoat on.  A bit of lane walking.  The weather does need to be commented upon.  We have gales and ominous black clouds but the BBC weather site has got it spot on.  I get a soaking twice from above.

Good day to own a Flag
Great day to own flags.  And kites.
My first obstacle is soon met.  The soaking is going to come from below as well.

Obstacle Number 1
Just need an idiot in a 4x4 to come along
Soon arrive at Ewen.  This is where I see the first indication of the Thames Path.  And there is a nice trail of caches to allow me to drop off some TBs.

First Sign of the Thames Path
I have followed these signs all the way to Erith in Kent
Cache number 2 brings me to my first crossing of the Thames.  I wonder if this is the first bridge over the Thames, but it is in fact, number 3.

At the Thames
Crystal Clear Waters
I am now walking through fields.  Normally, I would be watching the Thames reduce in size to a trickle.  Not today.

The Thames
Down at the Bank
The shape of the river is soon lost and its just a quagmire of flooded fields.  Hard to know which way to walk but in the end, its just a splish splosh through it.  At least I know my walking boots are still watertight.

Thames Head - Normally Dry
It all starts here
How Far to London?
London - That Way
The source is marked by a marker stone (camera is perched on it for the above photo) and a cache that unbelievably is nice and dry in its little hidey hole.  My walk is now meant to leave the water behind and pick up the disused Severn and Thames Canal.  Eventually, the puddle reduces in size and depth and I am back on terra firma.

The route is a walk up and back diversion of around 2 miles to go and see Sapperton Tunnel Entrance.  As there are a couple of caches, I go for it.

Do find a couple of unexpected oddities.

1)  The Coates Round House - looks like a Church Tower.

Unusual Round House
Nearly missed it - checking out the next Cache
2) Of Course, the Sapperton Tunnel Entrance

Sapperton Tunnel Portal
More Crystal Clear Waters
3) A Pub!

Unexpected Pub
Not even a road marked on the OS Map
View from their Beer Garden
The View in the beer garden
Alas, I have no time for refreshments, as I am due to pick up the happy shoppers at 1:15pm.  Back retracing my steps before picking up the lane that returns me to the car.

And how was the shopping in Cirencester?  Even Ellie, Queen of Shops, couldn't drag it out.  They had independent stops for breakfast, a pub drink and a lunch.

And she bought something from Boots.  The shop where she works.

No comments:

Post a Comment