Sunday 9 February 2014

09/02/14 - Contrasting Farmer Attitudes

Distance - 6.17 Miles
Geocaches - 8
Walk Inspiration


In hindsight, it was an ambitious plan to go walking today.

The weather was checked and gales were as promising as we could expect.  Rain not forecast until midday - co-incidently, when the pub opens.  I can squeeze in February's blast along the Millennium Way.

The promise of a pub lunch even convinces Mrs Mappiman to come along.  Spirits are high when we park up at the Old Bull in Inkberrow and see that they have a two course Sunday lunch for £9.95.

Of course, what I haven't taken fully into account is the effect that a month of storms has had on the ground.  This was a mud-bath.  A horrible, up to your knees slop around flooded fields of Worcestershire, under battleship gray skies.  And to make matters worse, when you hit an exposed bit, the gales tried to put you face first into the goo.

Where is the joy in this you ask?  All I can say is the Pub, which we will come to.

Gaitered and Goretexed, we slop out way out of Inkberrow.  A muddy (I promise not to use this word again) slop across the football pitches towards an elevated section with good views over Worcestershire.

Water, Water, Everywhere
One of the many big puddles
Sonia notices that the route takes us down the hill, only to walk back up the same hill in the next field.  Stop moaning, if you want lunch, is all I can think to say.

We find the first cache of the day.  It is hidden in a tree but the farmer has built a new fences all around the said item.  We expected that the cache would have been binned, but no, the farmer has left it next to said tree, so that you can lean over to recover and sign.

Friendly Farmer saved the cache
Tree, cache and new fence
A short stretch on towards Holt Farm and we find the second cache of the day and then meet the lady who owns the farm.

I am working out how to get across the field.  The first tentative step had me disappear up to my knees.  I try a little further down when she pipes up "The right of way is that way".  I reply that "I know, I am just trying to find a way that avoids trench foot".

She replies with "Well, you have to expect this on farmland".

Check out the photos, lady farmer.  I am head to toe in goretex and so is my wife.  We have maps.  We have Sat Navs.  We have a dainty little hiking rucksack with a water bottle.  Do we look like amateurs?

We go on our way, in the correct direction, through the worst of the conditions.  And she just stands there and watches - making sure that we don't deviate from the right of way.  I spot this lack of trust and give her a cheery wave.  She heads off to the farmhouse to rouse her big handed sons.

I nearly lost my faith with country folk, but it will be restored.

Not going to bore you anymore with the conditions but we nearly weeped with joy when we hit the tarmac of The Bouts.

Tarmac never looked so good
On a day like this, give me a road please.
The route takes us into the farmland of the Bouts Farm.  The path has recently been diverted.  After a cheerful hello, the farmer here spends a couple of minutes explaining this and pointing us in the correct direction.

Now that is more like it.

Skirt Mearse Farm.  The wind picks up and adds a little rain to complete the misery.  I look at the map and I can save a 2 mile loop from the suggested route and add it to Stage 10.  I suggest this to Sonia.  She answered a bit sharpish, so I asked if she needs more time to consider her reply.

We head back to the pub. 

It was possibly the best decision I have ever made.

A long miserable stretch between Knowl Fields Barn Farm and Lench Farm has us sticking to the lanes for the return to Inkberrrow.

For god's sake, take me to the pub.
Slow Down, the table isn't booked until 1pm
A last couple of caches, including getting the Church Multi, where I collected the co-ords on Stage 8 and we are back to the pub.

Change of Clothes Required
We have even brought a change of clothes
During the walk, if you had asked me to describe my dream pub, it would not have been far from what the Old Bull actually offered.  Its also really rather famous, as the inspiration for the pub in Radio 4's soap, the Archers.

On walking through the door, we are presented with a choice of two roaring open fires.  We are 75 minutes early but the landlady greets us and seats us and we are presented with the menu.  Drinks are delivered to the table whilst we peruse.  The food is all home cooked with what you would expect and a couple of options that you wouldn't.

Do you know what Clootie Dumpling is?  I do now and let me tell you... fruit cake with ice-cream and a drizzle of Whisky is the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment