Saturday 20 September 2014

20/09/14 - I'm not a Cider Drinker

Distance - 6.5 Miles
Walk from - 1001 Great Family Walks
Inspiration - Doghouse Magazine Issue 1
Geocaches - 1
 
On my approach to Tenbury Wells, I am greeted with the advertisements for "AppleFest 2014".  Should have taken this as a warning.

Park up and head out of town.  On a grey day, it looks more tired than usual.  The town centre pubs all seem to be up for sale but things improve on the way out, with a couple of gems.

Not for Sale 1
King's Head - Not for Sale
Was for Sale in the 17th Century
Pembroke House - A blue Plaque says it was for sale in C17th
A lot of pub references for a walking blog.  But its a pub magazine that has provided the inspiration for today's excursion.  Doghouse Magazine has a superb knack of finding the rapidly disappearing gems of public houses.  I need to move quickly to visit them, as they will not be here for ever.

I hit the countryside - making my way across the 15 stiles that meant the hound was left at home.  As much as she pretends to like country rambles, she does not appreciate obstacle courses.

With grey skies and agricultural fields, there is not much to report.  There is only one Geocache on the entire route and its a night cache.  This means you can use Sat Navs but it is easier to shine a touch on the luminous pins that point the direction to the bounty.  I use a methodical process of elimination to record a single smiley.

Back to the fields and I am working my way west to Berrington Green.  Set off my first pack of hounds of the day, as I emerge at the farms in this tiny hamlet.  Little to report, apart from a graveyard with no associated church nearby.  This is a first.

Boneyard, no Church
Boneyard.  Where do they do the services?
Fields, turn into orchards - the source of AppleFest.

I'm a lonely Tree
Lonely Tree under Slate Grey skies
Applefest
Applefest - a rare splash of Colour
Navigate a golf course that doesn't have a single golfer.  I am the solitary outdoor enthusiast.  The route wants to take me down to Berrington Mill, which is a little bit of an unnecessary diversion.  But I cannot put a tick against the walk unless I follow it to the letter - so I drop down.

My approach sets off the second pack of dogs.  This time a set of kennels containing half a dozen chocolate labradoodles.  The dogs go mad.  The lady comes out to quiet them.  Does she look impressed at the approaching rambler?  A scowl is all that is received, so I decide not to pursue a conversation about our common interest in hybrid dogs.

Back to the main round and into a huge garden centre that has a Hobson's beer delivery van in the car park.  That seems like a great idea.

Garden Centre
Needing that Hobsons
The garden centre gives way to a high ridge path, with the River Teme below.  Good, easy walking.  Delivers me to Tenbury Church before a hidden alley takes me back to the high street in search of refreshment.

Tenbury Church
Tenbury Church
With an unexpected amount of choice, I make my mind up to hit the Vaults.  This is the main feature of the magazine article.

The Vaults
1 of many Tenbury Pubs
I burst through the door to some proper Irish Fiddly-di-de music.  A little bit of the Emerald Isle in rural Worcestershire.  I am greeted by an Irish Landlord.  I scan his choice of libations.  A conversation ensues...

Mappiman - "Do you have any real ales?"
Barman - "Oh No, I love them myself but no-one round here drinks them.  I would buy a barrel but then I would have to drink it all myself"
Barman - "I do have three different types of Cider though".

Certainly is Applefest in this town.  The pub is busy.  To a man, they are all drinking Applejuice.  Personally, I would not use Cider to extinguish my shoes if they spontaneously combusted.

Mappiman - "You could get some Ale in bottles"
Barman - "Sure, that's a good idea, not thought of that".

I cannot tell whether he was genuine or reserving barman's humouring, honed after years of dealing with people that had drank too many apples.

I settle for the Black Stuff.  My first one since Cheltenham Races in March.

Officially Winter.
Summer Officially Over - I go Back to Black
I was thinking of planning a trip to Galway next year.  I can save the airfare and stick to Worcestershire.




1 comment:

  1. A few points here:

    I reckon I'm pretty good at getting people talking but sometimes you just know it's not going to be worth the effort.

    I'm with you all the way about cider. Give me a pint of draught bitter with a good tight head any day.

    If you do "go across the sea the sea to Ireland" I think you'll find they have their own special brew (not for export) of the black stuff. Drawing a pint involves a spatula to cream off the head as filling progresses, until perfection is achieved. It can take some time but it's worth waiting for

    Sent from my iPad

    ReplyDelete