Sunday 4 January 2015

03/01/15 - (Almost) A Grandstand Finish

Distance - 15 Miles
Walk Inspiration - Phase 13 of the London Loop
Geocaches - 4
Start - Chingford
Finish - Harold Wood


The penultimate Stage of the London Loop. To prove that God exists, all my Xmas walking has been completed in the most glorious of Winter Weather. Crisp Frosts, bright sunshine, firm underfoot.

Until today, when the longest walk - all 15 miles of it - is undertaken.  As the rail tickets cannot be wasted, there is no choice but to Goretex up and head out for 6 hours of constant rain, throwing down enough water on Essex that they closed lanes on the M25.

Fun, this wasn't.

Depart at Chingford Station.  Pop my head out the station to get the 1st cache of 2015 and then pop back in again after deciding that Berghaus Deluge Overtrousers are necessary.  Head up to the highlight of the walk.

After 10 minutes, on the edge of Epping Forest, there is a construction that is the last remaining of its type.  A galleried hunting Grandstand, built by Henry the VIII and used by Elizabeth I, who would ride her horse directly to the viewing platform.  They have added in the walls in later years.  They have also built a Premier Inn next to it.  But apart from that, this is living history that you can touch.  And it has a virtual cache next to it.

Chingford - Elizabethan Hunting Lodge
Somebody went to the trouble of carving the Deer a Johnston.
Having soaked up (oh, the irony) a bit of history, I can get the walk underway properly.  Brush the outskirts of Epping Forest, through Roding Valley recreation ground, over the M11 and some road walking up into Chigwell.

I was rather taken by old Chigwell Village.  A nice looking church, an old school and another highlight.  The King's Head Pub.  Built in 1547, frequented by everyone from Charles Dickens, to Winston Churchill, it dominates the street.  I would have so dearly loved to have gone in but it's 11am and at this point, I hadn't realised that Alan Sugar had bought it and leased it out as a Turkish Restaurant.

Sheesh, indeed.

London Loop - Chigwell
Chigwell Church
London Loop - Chigwell
Serving Ale since 1547.

Chigwell done, I plod through fields to get to the next forest, Hainhault.  Not as well protected at Epping, just 336 acres remain.  Presumably, they cut down most of it for the never ending golf course, that has possibly the worst waymarkers I have encountered.  I dont think I saw a single yellow band on a tree, so kind of made my own way across to Lower Park Farm.

London Loop - Hainhault Forest
A Forest could really do with more trees

The path from the farm to Havering Country Park is not one I will forget in a hurry.  2015 is only three days old and it already has a nadir.  It's gently uphill.  Which means all the rain water is running down hill.  And the mud means you can either take a battle with the thorn bushes to the left or try and hang on to the barb wire fence to the right and slowly make your way up.  I would struggle to explain the outdoor life to a non walker at this point.

Into Havering Country Park and are greeted by an imposing tree lined avenue of majestic Wellingtonia trees.  This is the second largest plantation of these Californian natives in the UK.  Maybe the mud was worth it.  Maybe, I could have got a better photo from Google.

London Loop - Hainhault Forest
A mixture or rain, sweat and tears
I promise myself lunch at the next shelter.  Its been 10 miles.  I hoped for a barn and got a bus shelter at Havering-Atte-Bower.  It will do.  Check how much water is inside the rucksack.  Thank god for Aquapacs for my electronics and a hastily repurposed plastic bag that the sausage roll came in that will hopefully protect my Game of Thrones book.

5 miles to go and I will admit they were a trudge.  Pygro Park leads to Paternoster Row and then a seemingly never ending drop down along a stream through parks and playgrounds to Harold Wood and my train.

After 15 miles, I dream of a nice country pub with roaring fires and the aforementioned deity provides.

The pub is absolutely packed.  For 3pm on a Saturday with no footie on, I am surprised.  Maybe this is the norm in Essex.  I bustle my way to the bar, looking that disheveled that room is made and then re-arrange the furniture to get the best seat in the house.

Speckled Hen and gently steaming pants made the day all worth while.

London Loop - Harold Wood
I knew Essex Man were prone to dropped aitches
London Loop - Harold Wood
Bliss - Chestnuts Roasting

No comments:

Post a Comment