Saturday 7 March 2015

07/03/15 - Oldest Brewery in the UK

Walk Inspiration - AA 1001 Walks
Distance - 6  Miles
Geocaches - 2 out of 3

Many inspirations for this walk. I have been reading Doghouse Magazine (an ode to British Pubs, that I hope is still active) and they had a feature on Britain's oldest Brewery - The Three Tuns in Bishop's Castle.  This place has been spreading happiness continuously since 1642.  The attached pub is also in the Top 10 Pubs in Shropshire.  Having walked from all the ones in Worcestershire, this represents a significant first tick in the next closest county.

And its damn fine walking country.  I know this, as I completed a version of this walk in 2005.  Pre-blogging days, but I remember there could have been great views, if it wasn't for the January fog and snow.  I vowed then to come back, and I guarantee you blogfans, its not going to take me 9 years to come back again.

Prior to heading out, I now complete pre-walk research.  I know the village was founded when the wonderfully named Edwin Shakehead was that pleased with overcoming palsy, he donated the lands to the Bishop of Hereford.  Who built a castle.  It's also comes with not one but two micro breweries.  I am making enquires to see what the status is with retirement homes.

Park up at the cattle market and head down through the town to the Church.  I am aware that it has a rare one handed clock.  When you have two micro breweries, you don't really need to trouble yourself with trivialities such as minutes.  I ask Sonia what is unusual about the church.

She stared at it for quite a while....

Bishops Castle
Maybe a Zoom in will Help
Bishops Castle
In the end, I had to tell her.  She Said "Oh, I thought it was ten to ten"
Over the road is Micro Brewery 1.  I will save this one for next time.

Bishops Castle
Six Bells Brewery Tap.
We pick up the Shropshire Way to take us into the hills.  The paths are surprisingly unmuddy and this makes for great walking.  A couple of caches without clear hints are along the path.  We have a long chat about what a cacher's girlfriend might mean (Holly?  Ivy?) and fail at number one but make a find at number two.

At Colebatch, we drop down into a simply wonderful valley.  Eventually we have to climb out at the far end but it a gradual incline and of course, we are rewarded with the stunning Shropshire views.

Bishops Castle
Valley Floor
Bishops Castle
Climbing out into the Wind
There are many, many photos.  But I am sure that you get the idea.  Through Upper Woodbatch farm where we pick up a lane at Bishop's Moat (a fair way from his castle) and the last cache of the day.  Lane walking to the mechanical graveyard at Sheperdswhim, where we meet a couple of walkers who set off at the same time as us, but in the opposite direction.

Bishops Castle
Views from Shepherdswhim Farm
A lovely green lane runs parallel with Long Mynd and brings us to the few house at Bankshead.  From the photos, you can see that its a springlike day, but I will not declare spring open until I see the newbord lambs.   And the fields at the back of Bankshead provide one of the greatest feelings I know.  Bye Bye Sad February and your miserably short days.  Evening walking is just around the corner.

Bishops Castle
A Shropshire Safari to gladden the Heart
Positively beaming as we walk downhill into the village, knowing another reward awaits.

Bishops Castle
Date of the 400 Year Celebrations is marked in the Calendar.
Bishops Castle
Blame Sonia for Lopping the Top of the Brewery
e
Bishops Castle
Not prone to exaggeration - but the Cleric's Cure is the best pint ever
There's a B&B over the road from the Brewery.  And they have an annual beer festival.  Holidays 2016 are sorted.

A superb day, that not even the Albion Villa game can upset later.  Unless they give away a last minute penalty.  For the 2nd time in a week.



No comments:

Post a Comment