Monday 13 April 2015

11/04/15 - And I'm off to Amberley

Distance - 14.4 Miles
Geocaches - 12
Start - Tottington YHA
Finish - Amberley Station
Day 3 of the South Downs Way (Other SDW Blogs - Day 1, Day 2)
Highlights - Chanctonbury Ring Fort, Amberley Mount

Last Night
My weary legs that have carried me 20 miles just need to get me up the stairs to the YHA reception.  I am 45 but from the masses huddled in the communal area, I would appear to be the 3rd youngest.  Tarquin and Georgia beat me to the youngest person award by being 8 and 6 respectively.  They appear to be enjoying scrabble.

The rules are explained to me (not of scrabble, I know them - hostelling).  I only need to do one job and that is to strip my bed in the morning.  I can manage that.  Food situation is explained but I have dined at the Devils Dyke pub so more interested in the Bar situation.  They do a nice bottle of Merlot for a tenner.

Settle down with the paper on the comfy sofa.  But this is not etiquette.   Two elderly gents leave their wives playing bridge and sit opposite me.  90 minutes of comparing walking war stories and I am now an honorary member of the Bedfordshire Ramblers Society.

They retire to bed at 10:25, seemingly knowing something that I don't.  I start the Daily Mail.  At 10:30, the lights are turned out.

I would not hesitate to go hostelling again.

The Walk
Its been raining in the night.  Biblically according to the Hostellers that are camping in the YHA garden.  It's grim when I head off with some serious wind but at least its dry.

Start of the Day
Straight On It
Early walking is continuing the easy series of caches, which take me down to the River Ahur and up through Annington onto Annington Hill.  This is where for the first time in my 8 year caching career, a storm stops play.  Initially, I am kind of glad that there is inclement weather as it has justified me bringing overtrousers, rain coat and a dry bag to stash all my valuables, including my camera.  There are 45 minutes of the SDW which will not be recorded.  It's abysmal.

The rain comes in at right angles actually stinging my ears through my hood.  Above the Steyning Valley, I meet a couple of ladies who are less prepared than me, who are in shorts and jumpers.  We acknowledge each other with smiles that suggest we are all mental being out in this, but at least I am a prepared mentalist.

Then in 45 Minutes its over.  And the benefit of the wind is that is clears to gorgeous blues skies and takes away the smoggy pollution.

5 Minutes After the Storm
5 Minutes after the rain stops and camera is retrieved
10 Minutes after the Storm
And 10 minutes later, all is good with the world.
So I'm off again with a spring in my step and a mood that is further improved when a whole herd of deer come charging over the horizon.  Never seen so many together and too awestruck to get a decent photo.

Chanctonbury Ring hillfort soon comes along, offering more great views.

Chanctonbury Ring fort
Approaching the Hill Fort
Views from Chanctonbury
For Smog Free Views

Home straight now.  Despite some weary legs and the identification of where my collar bones are through the gentle reminder provided by my rucksack, I am saddened by the count down of the miles. In three days on the South Downs Way, I would suggest this is the most beautiful to date.

Baby Cow
Although the Baby Cow just wants to sleep.
And when I think it cannot get any better, Amberley comes into view.  Amazing views over the plains and a very large (and unexpected) castle down below.

Amberley
Best Views So Far?
Amberley
With a stonking great castle


Drop down off the hill and say goodbye, for now, to my last SDW way marker.

End of the SDW (for now)
Village Stores, Right - Pub, Left.
It's two hours until the 16:17 to Victoria - so I reflect on my three days over lunch.

I'm already looking forward to completing the SDW later in the year.

Reward
Cheers to  making it half way

No comments:

Post a Comment