Sunday 19 April 2015

19/04/15 - Duty Bound

Walk Inspiration - Stage 23 of the Millennium Way
Distance - 4.5 Miles
Geocaches - 6

The Millennium Way seems to get a little confused on its short walks around the middle of the Long Distance Path.  This is the third successive time I am taken to Berkswell.  There's no doubt its a lovely village but quite why its so frequently visited, I am unsure.  This route shares most of the paths with Stage 22, although is not as lengthy.

So I am in for a bit of Groundhog day walking.  At least it will enable me to get the caches that I missed last time through either a) muggles or b) being hopeless at geocaching.

Today, I attempt to park up at Lavender Hall Lane car park, but its overflowing.  Probably to do with the Church Service that I walk past, on the now all too familiar Berkswell Paths.

Berkswell Bimble #3 was missed last time due to the high muggle content coming over the boardwalks.  Today was similar, but I spotted it instantly and made a hasty retrieve, sign and replace.

The repeat of this section enables me to see how the vegetation has grown in the last 6 weeks.  I am looking for something to entertain me.

6 Weeks Difference
An uncanny ability to photo from the same spot - Left - The Start of March - The Right - The Middle of April.

Into the Fields
And into the Rapeseed
BB #4, previously guarded by a grandfather and grandson was quickly found.  However, the minute I drop off track to make a find, a doggle comes from nowhere and asks me if I am lost.  Never lost, only looking for caches.

BB #7 was a genuine DNF last time, and the first recorded on this cache by anyone.  I have no idea why I made such hard work of it last time, as it was an instant find today.  Maybe the best thing to do is to leave caches you are struggling with and just come back another day.

Into the gravel pits that caused me so much grief last time and at BB #11, I am at last on new, previously unexplored, paths.  This one is a multi and unfortunately for me, a car has broken down at GZ and being serviced by the RAC.  This does not stop me from getting the co-ords, doing the maths, plotting and making the find.  All under the gaze of a distinctly uncurious car mechanic and disgruntled looking driver.

The Path Ahead
Path taking me to BB #12
The final part of the route brings me to paths shared with the Heart of England Way.  There are some fine views over to Birmingham, way beyond the range of a 14-45mm lens.

Birmingham Views
Birmingham - far, far away
Back to the start. passing BB #1 on the way to the car.

I look forward to May's leg of the Millennium Way.  It starts in Berkswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment