Monday 25 May 2015

25/05/15 - Berkswell No More

Distance - 4.5 Miles
Geocaches -10
Walk Inspiration - Stage 24 of the Millennium Way

Over the last two years, I have come to love the Millennium Way, as it has taken me from Pershore to England's centre in Meriden.  However, for the last four months, I seem to be stuck Berkswell.

Not that there is anything wrong with being stuck in Berkswell.  Nice church, some fine paths and a pub, that despite having been close to 3 times, has not been frequented.  Something has to give.

I know where to park.  I know which paths to go on.  This gives me the chance to attempt a cache that was previously guarded by frisky bulls, who we indulging is some sort of homoerotic orgy.  Not wanting to get caught up in Solihull Scandal, I left them to their mountings last time but today, they seemed more restrained.  So I made a grab.

Then I get boxed in by them.  Then one starts to nibble on the sleeve of my walking top.  Lowe Alpine guarantee wicking and UV protection but they are sadly lacking when it comes to Bull saliva.

I did not hang around long enough to put the date on the log, but a hastily scribbled "Mappiman" and the taking of a TB proves I was there.

The Guardians of the Cache
GZ Ring of Bull.
Following the same paths as Stage 21 gives me the chance to find a previous DNF at Ram Hall.  I swear I looked there last time.  Its here where I make my way on new paths, heading South through the fields.

Out from Ram Hall
Into the Yellow
The Yellow rapeseed looks inviting but it has overgrown the footpath.  With a lack of a machete, there is no choice but to try and force my way through.  I succeed but am covered in yellow dust as I emerge for a cache that was the only DNF of the day.  Too many stingers :-(

On the way here, I passed a 4x4 with a bumper sticker saying "I LLove LLamas".  I now know where he lives.

LLove LLamas
LLoving LLamas.  More than Bulls.
The railway line leads me to Truggist Hill Farm, where the footpath signs are replaced with signs saying "No Exit - Private Property".

Does this mean cars? Does this mean walkers?

I have a GPS and follow the line of the path up a driveway.  I know I am close to the lane when a window opens and someone shouts at me that this is private property.  I reply and say that on the Map it shows as a footpath.  He tells me I have the wrong map.

I promise him I will never come here again.  This only half placates him.

On emergence at the lane I try and find the footpath signs and they show an indistinct path  alongside his property that was not apparent from the signage at the other end.

Here's an idea - rather than shouting at confused ramblers out your window, why not invest in some direction signs that say more than "No Exit".

Not much else to report on paths through Carol Green (never met her) and Benton Green (never met him).  Kind of fine, yet unspectacular walking with a number of caches to hunt for.

Path to Berkswell
Paths Like This

After four consecutive months of Berkswell visits, I check out the pub.

A pint of Shropshire's finest Town Crier.

The Bear - Berkswell
Follow the Bear
Hobsons Town Crier at the Bear
Shropshire's Finest


No comments:

Post a Comment