Monday 31 August 2015

31/08/15 - Chinnor Up!

Distance - 16.2 Miles
Distance on Ridgeway - 7 Miles
Geocaches - 10
Start on Ridgeway - Lewnor
End on Ridgeway - Princes Risborough
Pub - Shepherd's Crook,  Crowell, Timothy Taylor Landlord



When you have a plan, you have to stick with it.  I was always going to use the extra day off this weekend to knock off the next leg of the Ridgeway.

The alarm goes at 5:45.  A mere 15 minutes after offspring number 1 has got in from a nightclub.   I awake to the sound of the rain drumming on the conservatory roof.  Sonia questions my logic.  I question my logic.

At least the motorway is quiet.

Park up at Lewknor and after a short crossing under the M40, I am back on the Ridgeway at a place called Cuckoo Pen.

The worst thing about the rain is that it makes all the photos look dismal.

Still, this stage of the Ridgeway requires a camera man of David Bailey proportions to make it look anything but dismal.

Its just a wide track through woods, offering limited views.

The Ridgeway
A rare gap in the trees for a "View"
There are some geocaches as I make my way through the Clay Pits on either side of the path.  With the weather as it is, I will look for a couple of minutes but I am not wading into the damp undergrowth for a smiley.

Leave the trees behind at Thickthorne Wood and the Ridgeway opens out into agricultural land, offering something else to look at.

The Ridgeway
Out of Thickthorne Wood

Nothing more to say.  Nothing happens.  Nothing to photograph.  I leave the Ridgeway behind at Shootacre Lane and consider it's former glories back in Wiltshire.

Saunderton is the turning back point and the route I plot back is reasonable.  A large part of it is on various "Ways" (Chiltern, Midshires), which means that I have chosen quality paths.

Bledlow is the first village that I walk through and the pub, the Lions of Bledlow, looks exceptional.

A shame it's only 11:30am.

The Lions of Bledlow
The Lions of Bledlow

I see the occasional puff of smoke and hear the odd toot of a whistle, which means I am approching Chinnor.  Film location for Midsummer's Murders (more of a Bergerac man myself), it also has a Heritage Railway line, with a Steam train plodding backwards and forwards to Princes Risborough.

A double disappointment, I am too wet to stop at any of the pubs in town - not wanting to de-boot, and de-goretex - only to have to put it all back on again.

And I missed the Beer Festival by two days.

Too Late for the Festival
Two Days Too Late
The rain comes down again and by the time I reach Crowell, I cannot deny myself a cheer up.

The Shepherd's Crook it is.  A fine choice, as there are five real ales on - and the stone floors mean I don't have to disrobe. I go safe with a classic Timothy Taylor Landlord.

I'm too wet to sit inside, so I take my pint and sit in the beer garden.  Some may think this is odd, but there really is only so wet you can get.

The Shepherd's Crook
Just me, a sheep and upturned Wellies
Timothy Taylor
That's Better

Positively cheered up, I head back onto the trail.  Some fine churches at Kingston Blount (11th Century) and Aston Rowant - I cannot help but think I am walking in England's History.

Around the Cricket Pitch, past the Stud Farm, back under the M40 and the walk is over.

Five hours later, I think I have finally dried out.


No comments:

Post a Comment