Sunday 8 November 2015

07/11/15 - Country Retreat

Walk Inspiration - Stage 13 of the Ridgeway
Start - Princes Risborough Station
Finish - Tring Station
Distance - 15 Miles, all on the Ridgeway
Geocaches - 7

I arrive at Birmingham International Station at 7:01am, bleary-eyed and in need of caffeine.  Check the departures board and the 7:14am to Leamington is on time.  This is good news, as I only have a 6 minute window to change trains for Princes Risborough.  Order my americano, sit on a comfy seat and take another glance.  Train cancelled.

Still, if this is the worse that happens today, I will be OK.

After a chat with an official with poor iPad skills, I determine that I can change route, go into Birmingham and out on Moor Street.  Eventual delays of 51 minutes.  This gives me a slight concern, as I now have 6 hours and 7 minutes to walk 15 miles an get my advanced booked train back from Tring.

Still, if this is the worse that happens today, I will be OK.

The weather, once again, is absolutely shocking.  You can guarantee that when I plan a trip on the Ridgeway, will have rain.  And today, is the worst yet.  And that is saying something.  Nothing for it, I goretex up from head to foot and leave Princes Risborough - instantly picking up the path, sharing it's course with the Icknield Way.  The rain is that bad that I don't notice the nozzle of my camelpak water carrier coming off and a torrent of water running down my jacket and into my boots.  That's more than half my water supplies gone and a walk back down the track to find the errant nozzle.

Still, if this is the worse that happens today, I will be OK.

For the first time since before Streatley, this section of the Ridgeway offers some great walking.  On this leg, we have items of interest, great views through the rain and some seriously good paths, climbing hills and dropping back down to do it all over again.  After a couple of dull legs, the Ridgeway has regained its Mojo.

The first climb is a stiff assault to on Brush Hill.  The incline is made bearable by the installation of steps.

Stairs to the Ridgeway
Stairway to Heaven
Brush Hill
Brush Hill and the Vale of Aylesbury

The first of only a handful of caches are found today - one making me laugh out loud and reminding me why I do this mental activity.  Not going to give it away here, but I will probably tweet a picture of the cache for my three caching followers in Japan.

The height is lost and an unexpected pub is passed by.

The Plough at Cadsden
The Plough at Cadsden - obviously closed at 10:15am

Next up is Chequers - country retreat of the Prime Minister.  For some reason, I have always wanted to see this place and on foot is as close as you are going to get without having an invite from Sam and Dave.  As a rambler, you literally get to cross the grounds - with constant reminders that you are being watched.  With the weather, I am sure that Security had a good laugh at my predicament.

Chequers
Note the Monument - of course, we are going to climb there
No Entry to the PM
Signs a plenty

Cross Chequers tree lined driveway and back up into the hills to check out the Boer War Monument at the top of Coombe Hill.  A hell of a vantage point of the Vale.

Coombe Hill Monument
Coombe Hill Monument
Down into Wendover.  Its after 12 and the pubs are open.  This is nice, as the last slurp on my camelpak produces the final gurgle of air and water.  I look at my progress - 2.5 miles per hour.  The Tring train is in jeopardy.  Look at my attire - drenched and my bottom half covered in mud.  No publican is going to want me in this state.  Its with a heavy heart that I pass by three decent looking boozers but I will be back.

Still, if this is the worse that happens today, I will be OK.

Wendover
Wendover, you looked lovely.
Out of Wendover, and guess what?  Another Hill Climb.  The remainder for the walk is through woodlands, offering fine autumnal walking and shelter from the worst of the wind and rain.

Wendover Woodland
Wendover Woodland
Free from distractions of public houses and only a smattering of caches, I pick up the pace - getting to 2.8 miles per hour and there will even be a chance of getting a post walk pint if there is a hostelry near Tring Station.

Even the sun comes out to great me as I reach the A41 - showing the hills of the final section of the Ridgeway in all their splendour.  If only I had a drink - Wendover was 8 miles previous.

Sun Coming out at Tring
Gap in the Clouds - and the rest of the Ridgeway
45 Minutes to spare.  But Tring is a dry station.  There is not a pub to be found.  Nevermind, I can get an earlier train to Milton Keynes and grab something there.  But I've forgotten - that when they built MK, they remembered concrete cows and forgot the basics.  The nearest pub is a Wetherspoons and its a 0.8 mile round trip.  I've done 15 and cannot take anymore.  I sit in Costa - minus a real ale and watch the pseudo tramps drinking special brew and hassling travellers for coins.

This is the worse that happens and I am not OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment