Friday 22 January 2016

20/01/16 - The Jubilee Walkway (Camden Loop)

Distance - 5 Miles
Geocaches - 2
Walk Inspiration
Pub - The Lamb, Lamb Conduit Street - Youngs Special

First trip to London in 2016 and a chance to continue with the Jubilee Walkway.  There are five legs on the TFL web site and I have to say they are getting very confusing.  There seems to be a lot of repetition between the stages.  In comparison to the Capital Ring and the London Loop, it has no goal or purpose.

Still, its better than looking at the inside of a hotel room.

Head to Holborn, up the American Werewolf escalators and spewed out into the hurly burly of Southampton Row.

Wait for a GPS signal behind the flower seller stall,

Around Lincoln Inn Fields for the first cache of the day and the relative calm of the back of the law courts.  Once again on the JW, walk past the Seven Stars on Carey Street.  There can be no repeat visit this time.

Seven Stars
2nd Jubilee Walkway Visit to the Seven Stars.
Chancery Lane leads to a crossing of High Holborn and Theobolds Road and into possibly my favourite London Street - Lamb Conduit Street.

Why do I like it so much?  It has a fine Italian restaurant next door to the Lamb.  Like all good London Pubs, Charles Dickens was meant to have drunk there.  I need to check out if the Victorian vanity screens are still in place above the bar and can gladly report that everything as remembered.

Youngs Special
Screens to Stop the bar staff from commenting who the gentlemen were entertaining
The Lamb
Prime Victorian London Boozer

Bloomsbury is probably the part of London that I know the best, so all the sights and streets are very familiar - even if I don't get down as often as I used to.

A circuit of the British Museum (in daylight, the walk recommends walking through the middle) and a final Virtual Geocache on Gower Street.

British Museum
British Museum (north side)
At Oxford Street, I am meant to head back to Holborn Tube but the night is young and the city is calling.

Once again, I head off to see if the Coach and Horses is still intact.  It is and it's as gloriously grim as ever.  I also forgot it was Wednesday and the painfully annoying knees up on the out of tune piano.

I leg it when they come with the collection.  I am not paying for the ambiance to be ruined.

Coach and Horses
Coach and Horses, Soho - Avoid Wednesdays
Can't take the bustle and the noise and the fact that there is no real ale on, so I head out to investigate a pub that I have been reading a lot of recently, the French House.

Even if they only serve halves.

No Dickens references here but I know that Dylan Thomas left a manuscript of Under Milk Wood in the bar.

French Hen
Flying Visit to the pub formerly known as the "York Minster"
Investigations made, I head back for the Piccadilly line at the Circus.

Shaftesbury Avenue
Down Shaftesbury Avenue 
Piccadilly Circus
To Piccadilly Circus
Regent Street Bend
A last look at Regent Street before disappearing underground

One final leg of the Jubilee Walkway.  I will complete it, simply to say that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment