Saturday 7 May 2016

07/05/16 - Wye to the Thames - Walk 1 - Hereford to Ledbury

Distance - 18.5 Miles
Geocaches - 6
Pub 1 - The Crown, Woolhope, Wye Valley HPA
Pub 2 - The Talbot, Ledbury, Wadworth 6X
Pub 3 - Prince of Wales, Ledbury, Wye Valley HPA

So another adventure begins.  A long out of print guide that detailed a route following the Cotswolds Railway Line from Hereford to Oxford looked right up my street.  The first leg is a whopping 18 miles, so perfect conditions were needed - including Sonia being at work, decent weather and British Summer Time.

May 7th 2016 and I begin.  The 12 stages (remainder are mercifully shorter) will be completed over the year.

The Book
Found on Ebay
First direct Train from Droitwich and at 8:20am, I am alighting at Hereford.  A quick couple of miles through suburbia to reach the Wye Valley and the countryside.

Hereford Station
Scene from a Sidetracked Geocache
The Wye
The Wye Valley Walk

The route looks like it is along well established paths.  In addition to finding the Three Choirs Way and the Herefordshire trail later in the day, I start off along the Wye Valley Walk.

The Signage
Wye Valley - A brewery and a Walk
Decent walking along the river takes me through Hampton Bishop, the River Lugg and onwards to Mordiford.  As well as having the oldest surviving bridge in Herefordshire (1352, history fans) it also has one of the Top 10 Pubs in Herefordshire.  I console myself with the fact that I am not going to be able to visit at 9:30am with the thought that two more await me in Ledbury.



Modiford
Mordiford and a 14th Century Bridge
The Moon Inn at Mordiford
The Moon Inn - Return Visit Required
Up into Haugh Woods, where an early lunch is nipped in the bud by a million flies that have a thing for Roast Turkey Baps and onwards to Woolhope - where the OS Map has a Big Blue Cup of Joy.

Dead and Alive
Coming out of Haugh Woods and Into Woolhope
It's too much to be walking past two pubs on such a thirst inducing walk.  I approach the pub at 11am, more in optimism than expectation.  Like arriving at a bus stop, its always a good sign if someone is already waiting there.  And there is.  My icebreaker that I cannot be an alcoholic if I am not the first to be waiting for the pub to open builds enough rapport for me to determine the pub is being opened early for the start of a stag do.

I just have to hope its fancy dress and the theme is rambling.

The Crown at Wollhope
Crown Inn at Woolhope
Wye Valley HPA at the Crown
Comparing the Walk with the Beer

Nice halfway stop, watching the stags arrive and greeting each other with bonhomie based banter.

I need to press on, so hit the countryside with bucolic views over Herefordshire.  I adjust my route slightly to take in something on the OS Map marked as "The Wonder", which also provides the chance to grab a couple more geocaches.

Coming out of Woolhope
Herefordshire - and the threat of Thunderstorms
The Wonder
Bigging up "The Wonder" - A landslip that occurred in 1575

The only thing to break up the uniformity of the many orchards (we are in cider country) is Putley.  I ignore Putley Court, with its awful bolted on extenstions and focus my investigations on a wonderful little church.  Even test the door and have a look inside.  Would like to report on how spectacular this is (home based Internet research confirms this) but alas, I couldn't find the light switch.

Putley Church
Putley Church

Pultey Churchyard Cross
Carved Sandstone Cross - 4 effigies, with Jesus facing west
The orchards take me to Ledbury.

Orchards
My path through the Orchards
So Ledbury - what do you have for me in way of reward for a monster walk completed on the hottest day of the year?  Fine medieval architecture and two top 10 pubs in the county of Herefordshire.

Market Place - Ledbury
The best of the Architecture - 1617 Market House
My first pub is new to me - the Talbot.  Built in 1550, its now serving Wadworth to 21st Century punters.  I take a 6x out into the sheltered courtyard and have my first encounter with the Silurian Border Morrismen.

The Talbot - Ledbury
The Talbot - 6th Best in Herefordshire
Wadworth 6X - The Talbot, Ledbury
Morris Dancers - Bringing a bit of colour to proceedings 

Quick pint here and I have time before my train home to revisit the Prince of Wales.  I think I am falling in love with this pub.  Super fine setting and great beer.  Every village should have one.  I get talking with some people taking photos of the Cask Marque sign.  They tell me there is an App that helps them locate great pubs - with the chance of winning prizes for your endeavours.

Oh, yes, I have a new hobby.

And then the silence is broken.  The jingle of bells and shouts of who has the kitty can mean only one thing.  The Silurians are coming - they are both thirsty and recruiting.

Now, what could be finer than a pub crawl, preserving England's heritage and a bit of a dance around with a blacked up face?

The only thing that stops me joining is that it would interfere with my walking.

Prince of Wales - Ledbury
4th Best in Herefordshire
Wye Valley HPA - Prince of Wales, Ledbury
Wonderful Wye Valley HPA
The Morris Men
The Silurians - recruiting in Ale Houses around the Country.


No comments:

Post a Comment