Sunday 24 July 2016

24/07/16 - The Hollybush - Priors Marston - Millennium Way Stage 38

Distance - 5.5 Miles
Geocaches - 2 - 1 Found, 1 Not so Found
Walk Inspiration
Pub - The Hollybush, Priors Marston, Black Sheep

Last real chance this month to keep up my tally of adding a leg onto the Millenium Way.  38 Months consecutively, just the 6 to go.

It's getting harder to get to the destinations.  Priors Marston is one of those hidden little villages, seemingly not on a road to anywhere and centered on the OS Map in terrain that confirms Warwickshire as one of the countries most boring walking counties.  There is nothing marked on the map, with the exception of Marston Doles - a lock on the Oxford Canal.

There's also only two caches.  The first of the day I look for on the way out and the way back and come up with nothing.  Another go expected next month, when I return to the village.

Priors Marston Church
Fruitless Searching at Priors Marston Chuch
Out into the fields, across stiles that require ever increasing bouts of acrobatics, I am pleasantly surprised.  Someone has planted a forest.  The Millennium Way takes a broad track through the middle, so I am offered some cool, shady walking until I emerge at Potash Farm for some fine views over Napton Hill - the centre point of Stage 37.

Route Out - Through the Trees
No trees marked on the OS Map
Views to Napton on the Hill
Emerging for views over all of Warwickshire and its Peak of Napton Hill

Soon time to turn back for easy walking through sheep fields.  Ovines turn to Bovines and one is conspicuous by its lack of an udder.  A stare off leads to him making a move at me.  He increases speed.  I fly over the stile in the same manner as Alan Partridge when he escaped his mentalist fan.

Mug shot taken for police records.

Bull Attack
The Bull guarding his field
I think even the 2nd cache of the day will evade me.  GZ is guarded by a pensioner who has all the signs of going nowhere fast.  Sat on a bench, tub of sarnies and book out.  I adopt a combination of the brazen Mrs Mappiman approach to diving in and a more cautious classic "pretend to tie my shoe lace" technique.

Back across a couple of fields and I can hear music to guide me in.  Nothing like a bit of bluesy rock to act as a beacon.  It is coming from my watering hole and rather adds to the whole experience.

The Millennium Way seems to always start its short walks from a pub.  Today's - The Hollybush - may very well be the best of the whole lot.

Like all village pubs, it seems as though its in the centre and the village was built around it.  As if the regular selection of 4 real ales isn't enough - there's also a sign outside proclaiming its a beer festival. The music is coming from a decent band setup in the garden.

The whole village seems to have come along to join in the fun.

My black sheep went down wonderfully and I thought long and hard about sparking up google and searching on Priors Marston B&Bs.

Hollybush - Priors Marston
Oh, go on then.
Hollybush - Priors Marston
If I hadn't gone Black Sheep, it would have been UBU
Garden Party at the Hollybush, Priors Marston
Sunday Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment