Sunday 31 July 2016

30/07/16 - Wye to the Thames - Walk 3 - Colwall to Malvern

Distance - 4.9 Miles
Geocaches - 4
Previous Walks - Walk 1, Walk 2
Pubs - The Malvern Pub Crawl

Mrs Mappiman going to work on the train provided a perfect opportunity to tackle Stage 3 of my epic walk from the Wye at Hereford to the Thames at Oxford.  She heads North, to the England's 2nd City, I head South to Colwall.

I'm excited about today.  Stage 3 may be the shortest walk in the book but I know I will have a decent scale of Worcestershire's highest peak.  As I am on public transport, with a couple of hours to spare, I can also complete a Malvern Pub Crawl - worthy of a second blog.

Alighting the train at Colwall, I cross the footbridge to get to the countryside.  Worcestershire Beacon is in view.  I know what I have to do.

Colwall Station and Destination
High Point Ahead
I have a chance to right some geocaching wrongs.  There's a series of micros called the Colwall Circuit.  I had a go at them almost four years ago to the day.  The first still proves elusive today, despite a good 20 minute hunt.  I do manage to correct one previous DNF, as I climb ever upwards on Malvern's Western flank.

It doesn't matter how many times I walk Malvern, I never seem to complete the same paths twice. The Victorians certainly made it eternal walking country.  Today, I dissect the hills at Wyche Cutting and head arrow straight northwards on Shire Ditch to join the hoards at Worcestershire Beacon.

As expected, fine views on a lovely summer's day.

Views West
Views West into Wales
Views South
Views South, over British Camp
Views East
Views East - over the Next Leg of the Wye to Thames Path


Quick photo of the Trig and down, down to St Anne's Well - where the water bottle can be topped up, gratis.

Third walk out of 12 and I've enjoyed them all immensely.  Next leg takes me from Malvern to Worcester - 10 miles, but all flat.

Worcestershire Beacon
Highest Man in Worcestershire
St Annes Well
Refuelling Pit Stop at St Anne's Well.  Borrowed Dog.

Now, onto the Pubs of Malvern.

No comments:

Post a Comment