Sunday 21 August 2016

20/08/16 - Celandine Route and the 2 Pubs in Pinner

Distance - 11.7 Miles
Walk Inspiration
Geocaches - 12
Walk Start - West Drayton
Walk Finish - Pinner
Pub - The Queens Head, Pinner, Rebellion Mutiny

I'm not going to pretend that my navigation of the River Pinn in London has any comparison to John Hanning Speke's Nile expedition.  Whereas he was lauded in 1800's Society by finding the source and naming it Lake Victoria, I am only in with a chance of bumping into the most super of models in her home town of Pinner - famous only as the birthplace of Kate Moss.  She of saggy knees, as Mrs Mappiman is always keen to point out by circling imperfections in Daily Mail photo stories, when she gets the paper first.

London does a decent job of promoting walking routes of it's lesser known rivers.  Earlier this year, I completed a similar walk along the River Wandle and last week, I added the Waterlink Way onto my "to do list".  The River Pinn walk is promoted under the name "The Celandine Route".  A PDF is available at the link at the top of the blog.

The Pinn empties out into the River Colne near West Drayton.  From a walking perspective, its navigable to where it runs under the Grand Union Canal.  I know this stretch from the London Loop.

Start - Grand Union Canal
A repeat stretch on the Grand Union Canal 
Walking gets off to a poor start.  There is no signage at the canal and a false start leads me down a scummy dead end of a housing estate.  At least the sight of a fully loaded rambler gives the man sat on his doorstep, smoking and drinking a pre 10am Special Brew, something to look at.  Error fixed, the real path is found in a playing area and the first sight of the River Pinn is obtained.

River Pinn
Its like this for the next 11 miles.
Today is International Geocaching day and I make a pig's ear of failing to find the first two potential caches of the day.  The souvenir is in jeopardy until I make my first find of the day at a Side Tracked Cache in Cowley.

At least the Celandine Route signage improves, so at least I know where I am going.

Signage
A Large Scale Print of the PDF
Cowley
Signage at Cowley Church

I can tell from the lack of photos that the walking is not the most inspired.  There's really little to get excited about as I pass through the grounds of Brunel University, Hillingdon, over the A40 and into Ickenham, through Ruislip and into Pinner.  No open pubs are walked past.  Little to see.  The river barely changes in look and feel.

Say it quietly, it's all a bit dull.

The End of the Road - Pinner Park
Not really a fitting end to the CR Route

Can Pinner itself save the day?  It's a pretty handsome place and has a very "villagey" feel.  The buildings look ancient but what off the pubs?

There's only two.  Which is a worry for a place of this size.  They even try to increase the numbers by leaving the clues to former pubs.  The Zizzi Italian is hosted in the 1540 building of a pub and cruely hangs the of the Victory outside in "look at what you could have won" mockery.

I decide to try the highest rated pub first.  The Oddfellows Arms is at the top of Elm Park Road.  I brave a shower storm to get there.  I attempt the door.  Closed for a private party until 17:30.

The gods truly are against me today.

Oddfellows Arms
A Garden Patio too far.  Tell tale signs of the 70th Birthday Party in the Window
Back down and into the much prettier High Street, dominated by the Church at the top of the hill - where the Queens Head awaits.

Queens Head, Pinner
The Queens Head and it's unusual signage
Queens Head, Pinner
Love a pub with a bit of History


If this is the second best pub in Pinner, then the Oddfellows must be really going some.  Its ancient from the outside and all lovely and plush on the inside.  Seven real ales on, spread across the serving hatches.  The barman was keen to reel off their relative merits and Rebellion Mutiny was chosen.  I even get another tick in my Cask Marque App.

Rebellion Mutiny at Queens Head, Pinner
Plush Velour seating and Ceremonial Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment