Friday 23 September 2016

20/09/16 - Marble Arch Pub Crawl

Distance - Negligible
Geocaches - 0
Pubs - 3

Once again, the Worcestershire innocent finds himself in the Smoke.

Its 9:30pm by the time the Cumberland Hotel Reception has been navigated and the bags have been dropped off at the surprisingly spacious room.

Armed with Des De Moor's London Pubs book and the Cask Marque App, I will hit the nearby streets and squeeze the maximum adventure out of the 90 minutes available before "time gentlemen please" is called.

The Carpenter's Arms, 12 Seymour Place, Adnams Bitter


Random BeerInTheEvening Quote - "The Carps is a great little local for office workers and residents."

Off to the Good Beer Guide Entry first.  It looks like a proper pub.  Not sure where the residents are coming from - this is moments from Oxford Street.  Do normal people live around here?

Carpenters Arms
Handsome
This adds nice degree of serendipity to the adventure.  On Saturday, I was in the sister pub of the Carpenters - The Market Porter.  This has a completely different vibe.  Less people and more real pub pursuits.  There are people actually playing darts.

Quite incredible.

I burst through the door, to be greeted by a friendly Scot who is making his escape for a fag.  With little perusal, I go for the first real ale that I can see - a decent pint of Adnams Bitter, served in a Wainwright ale glass.

Later I notice the beer board.  Things would have a been different.  I am getting a taste for Harveys.

Carpenters Arms
Note to Self - Pay more attention in future
I take my pint and sit under the TV showing Chelsea scoring two in extra time.  Start to feel paranoid, feeling that everyone is staring at me.  They are more interested in Fabregas.  Especially the Scot, who has returned from his fag to keep his eye on his two pints at the bar.

Having knocked off the Good Beer Guide entry in the area, I look to see if there are any Cask Marques to attack.

But not before taking a photo of the rather nice tile work.

Carpenters Arms
Survived the refit
The Three Tuns, 1 Portman Mews, Tribute


Random BeerintheEvening Quote "There was a roaring fire and a generally comfortable feel to the place"
Indeed.  The roaring fire was the first thing I noticed.  And we are not officially into Autumn yet, are we?

The Three Tuns
Three Tuns Return
I have been here before - having lunch several years ago with a work colleague.  It is no hardship to come back.  A lovely, homely pub.  Full of low lighting and nick nacks.  And the chance to laugh at the many Americans who came in after 10pm, asked if they did food and then walked straight back out muttering about customer service.

The Times super fiendish sadoku knocked off whilst enjoying the Tribute.  First time I've had it for a while and it was excellent - if not exactly LocALE.

The Three Tuns
Wait for the hungry Americans to appear.

Find the CM Certificate in the corner of the pub.  A successful scan.  10:45 - and a choice.  Should I have another pint here or head to the next Cask Marque Pub around the corner?

I'm only two off the bottle opener, so off I head into the night.

The City of Quebec, 12 Old Quebec Street, Peroni


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "Yes,its cruisy but it makes it exciting / interesting"
I read the above quote without my glasses.  Old age means that I thought is said "Crusty".  There is nothing I like more than a good earthy pub.

The Cask Marque App has a map and it leads me to the door of this unassuming, typically city centre looking pub.

I would have taken a photo, but there was a bouncer outside and I didn't think he would appreciate it.

Maybe bouncers are required because its open after 11pm, I thought.  Certainly the bright lights and loud disco music gave the appearance that the party wasn't stopping anytime soon.

Disappointed with the underwhelming choice of ale, with most clips turned around, I go for a Peroni (not even in the ceremonial glass that announces to the world you have spent more than a fiver) and take it to the end of the bar - where the certificate is ironically displayed.

City of Quebec
49 - I promise a better pint for the prize winning 50th
Several men come and sit next to me.  There must be more Cask Marque tickers in the capital than I thought.

After 15 minutes of the music, I decide to tweet my disappointment that a fun pub with shite beer is part of the Ale Trail.

Head back to hotel for a great night sleep.

I awake to be informed by the Internet that I have done it again.
Mrs Mappiman is beginning to disbelieve my ever more convoluted excuses as to how I end up in these sorts of places.

No comments:

Post a Comment