Saturday 1 October 2016

01/10/16 - Wye to Thames - Walk 4 - Malvern to Worcester

Distance - 11 Miles
Geocaches - 5
Previous Walks - Walk 1, Walk 2, Walk 3
Pub - The Firefly, Worcester, Harbour New Zealand Gold


Hopeless weather today, but when you have made your mind up to do something, you have to see it through.

After a couple of months absence, I am back on the epic walk from Hereford to Oxford.  Today's fourth leg takes me from Malvern to Worcester.

Seems odd to be at Malvern and heading away from the hills.  I navigate through quiet lanes and housing estates that are not on my aging OS map to get into the open countryside.

The Malvern Hills
The View Behind Me
The walking is on decent, very flat paths.  Madresfield, a dry village, is first up.  There are a couple of caches that I did not find three years ago.  One wrong is rectified.  Well sneaky.

Madresfield
Into Madresfield.  Map show PO but no PUB
Worcester comes into view for the first time from the summit of old hill.  It's then a drop down into Callow End.  They have a rather nice pub, the Old Bush, a victim of one of my earliest blogs.  No mixed grill today though, its not open for another hour.

Callow End Old Bush
The Old Bush - Hiding Away
Next up is Powick.  Some new paths for me to explore here - as I walk through the churchyard and pick up a ridge path that eventually drops me down to the Powick Hams and the River Teme.

Powick Bridge
Powick Old Bridge and the Old Mill
The Teme
Picking up the Teme

From now on, its all about rivers.  First the Teme is followed.  A couple of caches are grabbed.  This ultimately leads to the Severn and a nice 1.5 miles up stream to Worcester City.  Always feel triumphant finishing a walk in a big city.  I feel they should put the bunting out to hail my arrival.

Into Worcester
View from Worcester Bridge
The Good Beer Guide is proving its worth.  I know Worcester very well, having worked there for 7 years and lived nearby all my life.  However, I do not know the Firefly in Lowesmoor.

I find it easily enough and learn something else about my County City.  Its opposite the only strip bar in a 25 mile radius.  It has a very strange sign outside saying the dress code is smart/casual - with a plea to "please make an effort".  How twee is Worcester?

The Firefly
Good sign - looks suspiciously like a pile of hipster chunder
The building was the residence of the manager of the old vinegar works.  It's decorated to a high enough standard that I am sure he would be impressed.

The Firefly
Handsome
Everything you would expect from the trendier end of a GBG entry - lots of craft ales and a handful of funkier casks.  Having never previously heard of the brewery, I have my second Harbour Ale of the week - this time a very decent New Zealand Gold.

A worthy reward for an 11 mile trudge through the rain.

The Firefly
Harbour Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment