Wednesday 19 October 2016

17/10/16 - Fleet Street Pub Crawl

Distance - 3 Miles
Geocaches - 1
Walk Inspiration - CAMRA's London Pub Walks - Walk 1
Pubs - 5


Bob Steel's guide provides inspiration for a wet night in the Smoke.  22 of the 30 walks completed to date, so its nearly time to shell out for the updated issue.

Before I get going on the walk proper, I want to tick off the only nearby 2017 Good Beer Guide Entry.  So off the tube at Chancery Lane and a chance to admire Holborn Viaduct from below.

Hoop and Grapes, Farringdon Road, Whitstable Pale Ale


Random Beerintheevening quote - "A decent, unpretentious pub on the edge of the City."
The guide tells me that this pub dates from 1721 and has a fascinating history.  It then fails to embellish the story any further.  Experience, and on line research, suggest its either something to do with the heated patio or secret weddings.

Hoop and Grapes, Farringdon Road
Hoop and Grapes, Farringdon Road
Hoop and Grapes, Farringdon Road
All the gang (usually found in Lidl) are here.
It's a Shepherds Neame House, selling their full range of beers.  I am going to file my visit under perfunctory.  There is nothing to make this place stand out, or really require a return visit.

Not even the Patio.

The Punch Tavern, Fleet Street, Doom Bar


RandomBeerintheEvening Quote - "Closer inspection does reveal it's not much more than a passable Wetherspoon conversion of an old building"
I'm now on Bob's book proper.  Not going to the Blackfriar - a fine pub (unless you like beer), already blogged.

There's plenty of booze choice in Fleet Street and I must have walked past the Punch Tavern 100 times without walking in.  Strange, as its lit up like Santa's Grotto and looks rather appealing.

Punch Tavern
Birthplace of Punch Magazine

Punch Tavern
Come in out the rain, weary traveller
Beautiful marble bar containing all of one choice of real ale.  Doom Bar.  To be fair, it was very well kept and as good an example as you could hope to find.

Pint taken to the matching marble fireplace.  Menu perused but lacking in inspiration enough to make me want to stay.

Surprising really, as despite the pubby origins, this is really more geared up for dining.

The Old Bell, Fleet Street, Hogbacks TEA

Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "Non-smoking pub .. don't bother."
And this was a review from 2016.

A short commute here.  Its next door and far more pubby.  Four real ales on and I went for a TEA.  I like this beer but this was a pretty ropey example.  Wishy washy headless wonder.

Old Bell
The Pub Like Old Bell.  Not for Smokers
Old Bell
TEA


An even less inspiring menu and I'm out of here rather quickly.   Hunger is kicking in.

The Cheshire Cheese, Fleet Street, Nothing
Cheshire Cheese
The Evocative sign - harder to photograph than the moon

You really need to visit here if you fancy a Dickensian drinking experience.  Winter is the time to do it, where they burn coals with such intensity that you will wish you had left your clothes at home.

I've been many times and although I'm not a fan of their Sam Smiths beer, eating in the little dining room to the side of the bar is an experience that everyone should have.

I pop in on the off chance that there is a table free.  This doesn't usually happen but there is a large four person table with reserved plonked on it and a little free standing two man table bereft of brass signs of occupation.

I ask the waiter if the table is free.  He tells me they have stopped serving food.

It's 8:20pm.

I don't stop for a drink.  Further conversations with Mrs Mappiman lead me to question what the reservation on the other table was for, if they have stopped serving food.

This sort of thing can burn you up from the inside.

The Harp, Chandos Place, London Pride


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "Fantastic ales and great atmosphere."
Fortunately, I know of a decent Thai over the road.

The Tipperary will be saved for another day and as the rain has stopped, I decide to walk back to my hotel, with the chance to tick off a couple more of the GBG 2017 entries.

Not that I need an excuse to revisit CAMRA national pub of the year 2010.  It's now no longer a freehouse and has been taken over by Fullers.  It's as good as it ever was,

And Monday night, 9pm is the time to go.  Not only did I get through the door, I got a seat.  This provided the opportunity to calculate the percentage of their previous guest ales I had tried.

The Harp, Chandos Place
Pop in, if you are ever at Charing Cross
The Harp, Chandos Place
62.7%

The Argyll Arms, Oxford Circus, Tribute


Random BeerintheEveing Quote - "Fine and historic interior, tolerable selection of cask ales."
A chance to finish off the W1 pubs in the GBG Guide.  Rest were blogged a month ago.

I think I have under appreciated this pub.  With its proximity to Oxford Circus Tube station, it's always been a go to place to meet friends.  A handy location.  It's usually that heaving that you cannot appreciate the three glass partitioned rooms, deep red interior and grade II listed status.

Come in at 10pm on a Monday and the inner beauty will be revealed.

Argyll Arms, Oxford Street
Usually four deep outside
Argyll Arms, Oxford Street
The Bass Room, Adorned with Hops
Argyll Arms, Oxford Street
GBG said to admire the Bass Mirror.  So I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment