Sunday 6 November 2016

05/11/16 - Lea Valley Walk Part 1 - Cheshunt to Limehouse Basin

Distance - 17 Miles
Geocaches - 25
Start - Cheshunt Station (Zone 8)
Finish - Limehouse Basin (Zone 2)
Walk Inspiration


The London River that goes by two names.  The signs constantly change on this walk.  Sometimes its the Lea, sometimes the Lee.  I'm sure there's a method to the madness.  Maybe it's called one name when it most resembles a canal.

It's source is somewhere north of Luton.  It empties (the last major tributary into the Thames) at Limehouse Basin.  In keeping with a year of walking London's Waterways, I'm going to knock off this epic - running from Zone 8 and in a different County - all the way to the East End.

Personally, I don't even like canal walking.  It may have been the super high volume of Geocaches on the route that tempted me.  Too many to list individually but for an aged trail that's been in place for 6 years and containing 70+ caches, they are exceptionally well maintained.  I had a blast.  I'll try and make the logs unique but I am not going to record the DNFs.  This was either due to time (I have a scheduled train back), muggles (what do you call a muggle on a bike?) or inability.

Bleary eyed, having set off on the 6:40am, changing at Seven Sisters, I arrive outside the M25.  First thing to do is get the sidetracked cache and then complete the short hop to the water.

The Start at Cheshunt
The River Lea at Cheshunt
Navigation or hills are not going to present a problem on this walk.  The Lea Valley navigation has more open water than the Norfolk Broads.  Looking at the map you can see how the path dissects bodies of water that in theory, should make you feel like Moses crossing the Red Sea.  In reality, you see nothing of the lakes and reservoirs that are on the opposite bank.

First item of interest (and I use the term loosely) is the M25.  It does present the opportunity to consider what I am doing today - I know I am ending in Central London but it does make me wonder whether there will be time for a post walk pint, when I am starting on the other side of the Moat designed to keep Brummies out of the Capital.

Under the M25
Under the M25.  Like a Brummie Troll.
Soon pick up Enfield Lock.  Nothing to report other than to say this is where the London Loop crosses the River Lea.  Fond memories through a previously found Geocache.

Pace on.  The map shows two massive reservoirs on the opposite side.  All I can see are the sheep nibbling the grassy banks.  In between Geocaches, I entertain myself by admiring the boats.  They come in all shapes and sizes - from cruisers that you think could cross the channel to floating tramp hovels.

Boat 1
And they say you should never rename a boat
Boats 2
Bruce Dickinson - Fencer, Pilot, Singer, Barger

As you would expect, things get more industrial from Tottenham onwards.  The beer can count increases but to their credit, I don't see a single shopping trolley.  In keeping with remembering past walks, a long stretch of the Capital Ring is retraced.  A break from caching (apart from clearing up a previous DNF) and the same mistake made as before.

All the pubs are on the opposite bank.

Industrial London
Starting to get Industrial at Tottentham
Capital Ring
A Pleasant Section of the Capital Ring.  You can wave at the lunch time boozers.

Today's highlight was somewhat unexpected and says rather a lot about the Premier League.  We all know that the taxpayer gave West Ham a new ground.  They inherited the Olympic Stadium this season and have added mass brawling to the entertainment on offer.  It's 1:40pm and I wonder if they are at home today.  There is a surprising lack of activity.

Home of the Irons
The Irons New Home
The pubs - still on the opposite bank - have a reasonable number of punters.  Its hard for a stranger to tell if this is the normal weekend crowd or footie fans.  Then it happens, three times.  People drapped in Claret and Blue and talking like Sonia from East Enders, ask me for directions - twice to the pub (sadly, a bridge is nearly always required) and once, believe it or not, to the actual ground.

Jesus.  I am a Baggies Fan.  I relish the return to the Championship.

I would be chuckling to myself but 13 miles in and I dryer than Gandhi's flip flop.   I press on through the wastelands of East London, knowing it will look very different next time I come.

Walking on Water
Walking on Water
And Under Flyovers
Underground

A couple of highlights from previous walks - Three Mills (World's largest Tidal Mill, Blogfans) and Bow Locks.  I know I am nearly done.

Three Mills
Three Mills.  And a Bike
Bow Locks - Keeping in the Green Stuff
Bow Locks - doing a good job of holding back the green.

Six hours 5 minutes after heading off.  Non stop walking and I arrive at the Thames at Limehouse Basin.

Limehouse Basin
Limehouse Basin
Empies into Limehouse
Where the Lea meets the Thames

There's a sign to the Riverside Historic Pubs.  Unfortunately, its the wrong way from Limehouse Station.  Fortunately, I have done them before.  If you are doing this walk - follow the sign.  There is nothing (yet) near to Limehouse.

Craft Pub Coming Soon
Coming Soon to the East End.  Craft.
So, thirsty and knackered, I get the train to Fenchurch Street and emerge into the daylight at Tower Hill.  I know of a Wetherspoons and incorrectly convince myself its in the GBG 2017 and worthy of a tick.  At least I got a Cask Marque Check in.

JDW to the Rescue
Shite Pub, Great Views
JDW to the Rescue
Fittingly, I take London Pride

Summary - dull walking, great caches, decided lack of pubs.  Would I do it again?

Not this stretch but I will book in Cheshunt to Ware/Hertford.

No comments:

Post a Comment