Saturday 24 December 2016

23/12/16 - Good Beer Guide Pubs of Birmingham - Part 1

The Wonderstuff's annual Christmas homecoming gig brings us to the Second City.  Pre match entertainment will of course be provided by ticking off a few GBG Guide entries before hurrying to Digbeth's Institute.

There's 7 City Entries, so this will be Part 1.  Blogfans may also be interested in previous adventures in the Jewellery Quarter, Digbeth and Harbourne.

The Old Contemptibles, Edmund Street, Purity Gold


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "Amazing pub - the decor and charm immediately make you feel relaxed like a guest in a stately home"

The Old Contemptibles
View from Snow Hill
Chosen, as its closest to Snow Hill Station, where we are duly delivered by London Midland.  This place seemingly has all the ingredients to be a star.  History - named after WW1 Soldiers.  Glamour - Check out the Chandeliers.  Architecture - a beautiful red bricked corner building that looks like a pub blueprint.

However, it fails to hit the spot.

With it being the last working day before Christmas, the crowds were to be expected.  The dodgy pint of Purity Gold was not.  I know the brewery well and their wares are spot on.  This example would be described by my mate Paul as "Stinky".

Mrs Mappiman was getting claustrophobic and I was getting tired of having my drinking arm knocked, so we quickly head off.

The Old Contemptibles
The Glamour.  The Crowds.  A Man who has had his drinking arm knocked
Pure Craft Bar and Kitchen, Waterlook Street, Purity Saddleback


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "It's the type of place where you'll never get a seat because people will sit there for hours nursing a single pint because they have paid well over a fiver for some exotic pilsner and it's fashionable to be there"
We depart and battle the decidedly unseasonable  Storm Barabara.  By name, I was not at sure that and Bar and Kitchen would be my cup of tea.  From the outside, it looks like a restaurant.

Pure Craft Bar and Kitchen
Is it a Pub?
From the inside, it looks like a restaurant but with a modern "distressed" feel.  Mrs Mappiman looks at the ceiling and asks if they have finished decorating.  I suggest the exposed air conditioning ducting is meant to make it hip.

She feels as though this is the sort of place that might offer a cocktail.  I head to the bar to see whats available.  The blackboard behind tells me the ales and I quickly twig that its a flagship house for the Purity brewery.  The only cocktails they do are "Beer Cocktails".  Apart from Shandy, I cannot think what these would be.  She'll have to make do with a half of cider.

I'm seduced by a pump that has an actual saddle on it and I give Purity the chance to show me how good their beer can be.  The Saddle Black was one of the best pints taken this year.  I've not seen it before but I will be looking out for it in the future.

Filing this one under unexpected success and thank the guide for bringing me somewhere I'd never consider.

Pure Craft Bar and Kitchen
Saddle Black.  Distressed Ceiling
The Post Office Vaults, New Street, Kinver First Class Stamp


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "Excellent pub, terrific range of ale & cider. Because it's quite small, it makes it feel lively inside, even when it isn't busy. But then it's always busy!"
This is a near mythical place, mentioned on most Top 10 Pubs in Birmingham lists.  Birmingham is my home city.  I know it reasonably well.  Yet, I cannot ever place where this pub is in New Street.

Before leaving, I spend a good 30 minutes on Google Street View.  It takes that long to find it out.  I'll save you the hassle - if you're near Greggs you are almost there.

A door between shops selling food that is bad for you leads down into the depths of this subterranean oasis.

Post Office Vaults
Blink, and you will miss it.
Its more of a real cider place than a real ale place.  Mrs Mappiman wants a half, so I head to the bar and ask for half a cider.  This is akin to going a CAMRA beer festival and asking for half a lager.  The barman looks at me like the idiot I am and asks me to chose from his blackboard list.  All I can say is nothing "Scrumpy-esque".  He doesn't understand me.

Not wanting to make the same mistake with the Ale, I go for a Kinver First Class Stamp.  A seemingly good choice, as its brewed only for them.

Kinver First Class Stamp
Kiver First Class Stamp.  Mrs Mappiman checking her non scrumpy into Untappd.
A proper pub feel in here.  Just try not to think about how you would get out if there was a fire.

3 down, 4 to go in the City Centre.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading blogs like this. Pop in from time to time but this is my first comment. I crawl about UK pubs every northern summer but apart from a few comments on BITE & Facebook posts to pals in Australia, I'm too lazy to share the experience. Agree with your remarks on the Post Office Vaults; found that a mid week, mid afternoon visit gives you breathing space and a chance to chat with the bar staff. Ditto time for visiting the Old Contemptibles, as my first visit there was body contact drinking. Looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers - Thanks for taking the time to read and your comments. Still plenty for me to discover in Birmingham!

    ReplyDelete