Sunday 17 September 2017

17/09/17 - RGR Geocaching and The Weighbride at Alvechurch

Distance - 4 Miles
Geocaches - 20
First Cache



I noticed these caches being published around a week ago.  There was no hesitation in moving them to the top of the to do list for the following reasons;
  1. I've enjoyed the Leaky Cauldron's other cache trails in the area
  2. Alvechurch was the best walking areas when I took inspiration from the Capital Ring Long Distance Path to create a 2nd City Alternative - The Brummie Ring
  3. There's an unticked CAMRA Good Beer Guide Entry, waiting to be er... ticked
With Mrs M otherwise engaged, I headed out for some solo caching.  If I had been a little earlier, I could have teamed myself up with Modge UK.  I'm fairly sure I parked up next to their Geowagon at the Rowney Green Chapel and certainly saw their same day stamped logs.

As expected the walking was fine.  A few ups and downs, with plenty of sheep/horse fields to navigate and serenaded by the ever present hum of the M42.

Here's the views;

Starting off in Chapel Lane
Starting off down Chapel Lane - Chasing Modge UK
Into the Countryside
Into the Countryside
Horses in their Finery
The Horsey Part of Birmingham
Geocaching Views
Worcestershire Views

If anything, the geocaches were better than expected.  Who knew I could decipher complex Roman numerals without a Smartphone?  Would Combination Locks cause the blue face of shame?  How did I end up doing an impression of Jeremy Beadle?

Answers can only be found in the online logs.

Great circuit - so thanks for the challenge, Leaky Cauldrons!

Onto the Pub.

The Weighbridge, Alvechurch

Something else that exceeded expectations today.

I've been to Alvechurch a few times but even though this is handily positioned for the train station, I've never turned away from the town and headed towards the marina.  Even then, you really need to know its there as it's not that obvious its a pub.  Entry involves navigating the huge Marina Car Park and heading towards the Marquee.

Weigbridge, Alvechurch
The Weighbridge, Alvechurch
But people do know about it.  Just gone midday on a Sunday and the place is packed.  The Sunday Lunches are apparently legendary but with just a Northern Irish £5 and some shrapnel available to me, I made do with a pint and a Tuna Bap, from the bar mounted smorgasbord of sandwich delights.

Which Pint?  Selection is made either by peering over the small bar or reading the overhead chalkboard.  It would have been a LocALE Wetheroak Tillerman Tipple but on pouring, the bar lady wasn't happy with the quality and instantly offered something else.

Wye Valley Butty Bach has never tasted so good.

Weigbridge, Alvechurch
A Rare Quiet Time at the Bar
Wye Valley Butty Bach
Butty Bach.  Gentlemen sharing a plate of Scratchings 

No comments:

Post a Comment