Sunday 29 October 2017

29/10/17 - Knott the Greatest Start to GBG Ticking in Greater Manchester

A Sunday night in Manchester, where there is much work to do.  There are 17 Good Beer Guide entries in the 2018 Bible.  In a typical no nonsense Northern Way, one is called in "Micro Pub" and one is called "Pie and Ale".

With both adult offspring residing in the City, there is a chance to take our time getting the ticks.   I live in hopeful expectation that one may even buy a round.

The Knott Bar, 374 Deansgate

After feeding them at the Wharf (a 2017 Entry, inexplicably removed), we use the power of Google to find the Knott Bar.  Its just up the road from Deansgate Locks, where in 2001, I nearly drank in the same establishment as Kylie Minogue.  I'll always rue the day I chose Revolution over the Sugar Lounge.

The bible promises an "Electronic Poster Board", so I should have guessed what to expect.  It's crammed under the railway bridge and full off exposed ceilings, providing a gritty urban experience.  Every time a train goes over, the artisan gin bottles rattle.

The Knott
Mappiman going Trendy
I have no problem drinking in establishments not really designed for me.  After finishing up here, I take my son to the Temple Bar and attempt to wow him with my tune selection on the jukebox.  He gave up after a 90 minute wait, claiming a £1 con and music fed by iPod.

So back to the Knott.  It is a Sunday and Mrs M suggest that I make allowances. following what may have been a busy weekend.  There are around 8 handpulls on but all but 3 are turned the wrong way round.  I am left with the choice of a dark stout, a pump with three lines of description that the barman cannot explain and a Pale Ale from Dan's Brewery.

The North really doesn't do superfluous marketing.  It was Pale.  And presumably made by Dan.

Pale Ale
Pale Ale and a Three Lined Sign that the Barman couldn't decipher

The beer was OK but nothing special to make me wonder how this got in the Bible ahead of many similar City Centre bars?

Maybe Sunday's not the best evening to go ticking.

Dan's Brewery Pale Ale
Dan's Pale Ale and half of Mappiman Offspring #1

The Britons Protection, 50 Great Bridgewater Street

An interlude for Coniston Bluebird in the Temple Bar and I need to redress the Pub Ticking balance and go for something more traditional.

With the Peveril of the Peak all in darkness (again!  Is it ever open?), it falls on a pub that sounds like a recruiting ground for the English Defence League to provide some tradition.

Horrifyingly, Google suggests it is now a Gastropub.  It's not, its same as it has been since the 1930's refit and a worthy entrant in CAMRA's Heritage Pubs.

Britons Protection
It's tiling like this that gets you Heritage Pub Status
For the first time, I stop admiring the whisky collection in the narrow front bar and head around the side to see two enclosed sitting rooms, providing a very homely feel.

Beerwise, I only noticed Robinsons Unicorn.  I know its not got many fans but here, it was perfectly presented and a lovely colour.

Britons Protection
Snug in the Britons Protection
2 ticks down, 15 to go.  I wonder where I can get a decent Pie in Manchester?

No comments:

Post a Comment