Friday 30 March 2018

30/03/18 - Warwickshire Cakes and Ales - Stratford to Alcester

Start - Stratford-upon-Avon
Finish - Alcester
Distance - 14 Miles
Geocaches - 20
Walk Inspiration - Warwickshire Cakes and Ales Guide Book
Previous Stages - 1) Stratford to Shipston


First day of a two day walk in Warwickshire, following a couple of legs from the Cakes and Ales Guide book from Bob Bibby.

I'm here as a practice run for a week long adventure on the Inn Way to the North Yorkshire Moors.  A plan that has not really been thought through.   I mean, what's going to happen if I don't manage to complete this 2 dayer without freezing to death in the British Spring?  Or drowning?  Or having my slipper like 8 year old Meindl Boots decide to destroy my feet?

Think I have gone a bit far with the foreshadowing.

A twenty minute train ride takes me from Henley in Arden to Stratford on Avon.  Plenty of photo opportunities and a handful of micro caches before I'm getting my stride on.

Theatre
Stratford - In Black and White
Foot Bridge
And Glorious Colour

Walking should be easy but slip sliding along mud alongside the river Avon is few people's idea of fun.  Head west and the first civilisation is Wellford on Avon.  Too early for pub one of the day but plenty to admire in the village, with its pretty churches and black and white buildings.

Avon
Along the Avon
Wellford-on-avon
Bell Inn remains unticked.

The first port of call is a little further along the Avon at Barton.  If I had a pub, I might steal the name and call it the  "Cottage of Content".  Probably draw in more visitors than my original idea of the "Bucket of Blood".

The C&C is an old world rural pub, offering four real ales but importantly having stone floors so that I don't have to perform a one man version of the Full Monty to receive refreshment.

Cottage of Content
Why's it called the Cottage of Content Mappiman?
Cottage of Content
Sit in that red chair with a good pint of Hooky and you will know the answer, Blogfans.

Whistlestop, as I am not far from Bidford on Avon.   Research done and the legendary Falcon pub of Shakespearean repute has been a private house for many years.  There are other choices, but the rains are threatening, so I decide to get a bit of distance before the worst of it comes. 

Bidford on Avon
The Three Pub town of Bidford on Avon looking ominous.
It's not too far to the Good Beer Guide listed Broom Tavern.  The listing talks about it being reopened by two experienced chefs and that tells you what you need to know.  I am the only non dining patron.  Its not just the rucksack that makes me stand out.   An average Jumping Jack Flash from the North Cotswold Brewery is taken whilst I compare the chalkboard menu with my chicken cobs taken earlier in the on a damp bench.

Broom Tavern, Broom
The unpubby looking Broom Tavern
The little door to the right in the picture was where I was forced into a wardrobe change.  It;s started raining cats and dogs.  Like a Generation Game challenge gone badly wrong, I manage to get my hardshell coat and over trousers out of the rucksack and on, only annoying a small handful of punters trying to get in or out. 

After a 10 minute herculean effort, it's stopped raining.

So off I rustle, heading North on the Heart of England Way, knowing I will be revisiting these paths in the near future.  Another challenge has me completing monthly circular walks on this LDP.  I'm currently at Meriden.

Heart of England Way
Pointless Style on the HOEW
The pubs comes thick and fast - Wixford has a choice of two and I choose the overly funky Fish.   It's full of jokey slogans, has a shark over the entrance, is hotter than the sun inside and despite having about 6 hand pulls, offers just a single Wadworth 6X.   Too busy inside, so out I go to the back where the new sport of outdoor Pool has been invented.

Fish Inn, Wixford

Fish Inn, Wixford
Outdoor Pool and a not a bad 6X

Alcester is not far now - just need to climb the only hill of the day to Oversley Castle, slopping through an ever increasing mud fest, using Geocaching as a distraction.   For the first time today, a strange yellow orb briefly appears in the sky but it doesn't last.

Warwickshire and the Strange Orb in the Sky
Strange celestial phenomenon at Oversley Castle. 
There's no easy way into or out off Alcester's Travelodge but I find a footpath and take my life in my own hands crossing 4 lanes of a bypass to get there.

Looks like a taxi will be required to paint this town red.

But first, I need to get my stuff clean and dry for tomorrow and review foot related injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment